Reviewed by: Rachel Moquin, Union University
Date Reviewed: June 21, 2021
If higher education is to fulfill its vital social mission, new department leaders must be prepared for their positions and get up to speed on the basics quickly, educating themselves about the role and continuing to learn on the job.
In this second edition of his classic resource, Don Chu outlines the proven ideas and strategies new department chairs need in order to do their jobs well. Thoroughly revised and updated, The Department Chair Primer contains information that addresses the current pressures and challenges in higher education and offers practical suggestions for responding to them.
- Filled with illustrative examples, the book gets straight to the heart of challenges and issues. Each chapter details a particular problem, includes a brief introduction to the topic, and provides tips on how to deal with the situation. Covering a wealth of topics, The Department Chair Primer
- Explores the chair\’s role as department leader
- Offers suggestions for handling stress and conflict
- Includes information on budgeting, resource management, and development
- Contains strategies for professional development, people management, and working with challenging personnel
- Presents ideas for handling department communications, student development, and strategic positioning
Written in a concise and accessible manner, The Department Chair Primer is an ideal resource for the busy new department chair. (From the Publisher)